Translate

Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Blessing of Commitment


“Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life."
~Proverbs 13:12~

This verse reminds me of dating my now husband. I was so sure of what I wanted, but so unsure of what he was thinking. I would easily become anxious when wondering if the growing attachment between us would just end in my brokenness.

So as much as he communicated with me and tried to assure me of his affections, it wasn’t until he asked for my hand in marriage that confidence sprung up in me and I could see the picture of the longing soon to be fulfilled!


As we covenanted before our Lord Jesus and our families to be united as one in marriage, my longing was fulfilled. My marriage with all of its ups and downs has been a “tree of life” to me; a blessing beyond my imaginings. I know it is because the Lord was leading and guiding our relationship from hello until this very moment as I write these words.

I am united with a man of integrity, a man of his word...he is tender with me, he bears with my many weaknesses, he encourages me, he puts aside his own desires that he might please me, and he loves me as Christ loves the church (“husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loves the church and gave himself up for her” Ephesians 5:25 NIV). My marriage is overflowing with blessing because of the character of my husband.

Our commitments to others, though they may not run as deeply as a marriage vow, are important. They can bless. When we are thoughtful of others and make efforts to come through for them, they feel loved. We can be a light in the lives of those around us and it can be as simple as being consistent and reliable...just being there.

“Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.”

~Galatians 6:9~

Walk in the strength the Lord provides you through His Spirit that dwells in you. Listen to His promptings and walk forth in faith. Fill yourself up with the water of His Word (the scriptures) and you will overflow blessing to all those around you.

~Jaime Scharf

No comments:

Post a Comment