Translate

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Enjoy. Really??


"Then the whole community of Israel set out from Elim and journeyed into the wilderness...the whole community of Israel complained about Moses and Aaron...Then the Lord said to Moses, “Look, I’m going to rain down food from heaven for you. Each day the people can go out and pick up as much food as they need for that day...Then Moses added, “The Lord will give you meat to eat in the evening and bread to satisfy you in the morning, for he has heard all your complaints against him."
~Exodus 16:1,2,4,8 (NLT)

Did anyone think much about the term “Enjoy” in the title of this week? I thought it strange to think about enjoying trials and difficulties. If I were the writer of this list, I would try to change the wording on it. I think “Joy without Complaint” might be more appropriate. I can’t think of anywhere in the Bible where it speaks of enjoying all things. It does say to rejoice in all things (1 Thessalonians 5:16).

You don’t see the Lord telling the people of Israel to enjoy the wilderness, but you do find the blessing of the Lord’s provision poured out for them in the wasteland. They had water, food, meat, shelter and clothing and shoes that never wore out! That is without even mentioning the fact he freed their masses from slavery and promised them a rich land. You also find ample evidence of the nation of Israel complaining in the midst of their troubles when they lost sight of Jehovah’s provision for them.

I am like that too. A couple years ago I was in a deep depression and having many physical troubles in the midst of those baby times. I had thousands upon thousands of blessings in my life, but I was consumed with my difficulty. I let it sink into every part of me and complaints were filling my vision.

I know too what it is to walk in difficulty and allow the Lord to carry me through those struggles. I experienced the grief over a dear relationship torn apart. There were many times of deep and searing pain, but by His grace I was full of joy! Joy amidst the difficulties and a view on my blessed savior, Jesus.

There are two ways we can walk in life, with Him or apart from Him. Where am I today?

How did the challenge go for the first day? Any failures or successes? Easier or harder than you thought?

~Jaime Scharf

No comments:

Post a Comment