Translate

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Heart of the Matter


“For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.”
~Luke 6:45 (NASB)

Perhaps we should have touched on this to begin with so forgive me for not getting to the heart of the matter to start off.  That’s it though isn't it? “Out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.” What I am so filled up with cannot help but flow out of my mouth.

"We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."
~2 Corinthians 10:5

So if I look at what pours out of my mouth it will tell me what I am filling up with. It would stand to reason that if I “took every thought captive in obedience to Christ” and thought upon things that are “just, pure and lovely” those wonderful things would come forth.

"And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise."
~Philippians 4:8

It isn't just a matter of clamping my lips shut against the complaints that fly to my thoughts so readily, it is really a matter of taking those thoughts captive and setting my mind “on things above, not on things of the earth”. There is much instruction in scripture in regards to this subject.

What has been helpful to me has been starting a list of things that I am grateful for and updating it every day. Many people have read Ann Voskamp’s book “One Thousand Gifts”, but if you haven’t had a chance I would highly recommend it. She cuts through to the heart of the matter. Looking at things around you as part of God’s grace and love to us.

Is there grace and love wrapped up in trials? Surely there is. Even in the toughest of times, there are ways in which the Lord cares so well for us and demonstrates His unending love. Sometimes it is simply a matter of purposing our minds to dig deep and find the blessing. In that we come to realize the blessing has always been there and is bigger than we ever imagined.

The website has been a little slow the past couple days so hopefully you won't have much trouble loading up the link. If you do you can always find the book on Amazon.com.  http://www.aholyexperience.com/

~Jaime Scharf

No comments:

Post a Comment