Translate

Sunday, January 6, 2013

The Power of Our Words


Words are powerful!

"The tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit." 
~Prov 18:21 

You can build someone up and tear someone down with your words. I hate hearing people say, "I'm a failure." No, you are more than a conqueror! There is a spiritual law here!

I tried my best to teach my children about words when they were little. My son, Ricky, was very impulsive and I never knew what would be coming out of his mouth! I can't tell you how many times that child quoted:

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, oh Lord, my strength and my redeemer." 
~Psalms 19:14

When my daughter, Katie, was 5, we were talking about the scripture that says whatever we ask in the name of Jesus would be ours. (John 15:7) I was having Bible study at my house for the kindergarten and first grade kids that went to the elementary school down the street. Parents, when you don't think they are listening....they are! Katie was throwing a fit one day at our house. We had tried time out and it didn't work, so I paddled her bottom! She turned around and with great authority told me, "Stop spanking me in the Name of Jesus!" My mom asked me, "Well what did you do?" I said, "Well, I stopped!"

The Bible tells us that the WORD of God is sharper than any two edged sword! Know the Word and you will know Jesus. I know that I have failed so many times by letting idle words come from my mouth. There are times when I wish I had a roll of tape to put over my mouth (and super glue for my teenagers)!

Jesus is called the "Word." In the Word, we find comfort, peace, encouragement, but more than all of these, we find LIFE!

~Laurie Roe

No comments:

Post a Comment