Translate

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Breathing Integrity


“Therefore be imitators of God as beloved children…look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise.”
~Ephesians 5:1, 5(ESV)~

So, does it really matter? I mean, we are weak, human, and we forget. My family and friends love me, I know I have their forgiveness…

Well, these things may be true, but I was struck this morning by the thought that our ability to follow through on the things we commit to is one way we represent Christ to the world.  If I cannot do what I say I am going to do (in whatever setting...work, home, church, etc.) then how does that look to the rest of the world? My witness of Christ to those who do not believe is then marred.

Not only does it make those I commit to feel unloved, but it surely doesn’t motivate anyone to draw closer to Christ. And He is the most faithful and trustworthy (the only 100%) that there is in life! You cannot be more true than truth itself.

The following is a quote from Glenda Light, who commented on the post from yesterday. I thought it was so perfectly said that it needed to be included in today’s thoughts.
“I have often wondered if what these verses* are suggesting is that my life should be so characterized by integrity, my words so steeped in honesty, my actions so dependable and reliable that my 'yes' and my 'no' carry the weight and import of all that, making the oath unnecessary- that they in themselves, carry the force of an oath or vow, because those around me know that my yes means just that.” ~Glenda Light
*verses: James 5:12 and Matthew 5:33-37 (let your ‘yes’ be yes and ‘no’ be no)
May we all live lives that breathe integrity.

~Jaime Scharf

No comments:

Post a Comment