Translate

Monday, January 28, 2013

Week 8: Promise Without Forgetting


This week will be our last week looking at ways to show others love as we look at "promising without forgetting." I can easily think of many instances when I have promised to pray for people, do something, or make a phone call and just plain forgot about it. How does it make you and I feel when we have been forgotten by someone else? Crummy. Let us journey together to see what the Lord will speak into our individual lives this week. Thanks for reading along and commenting on how the Lord is moving in your own lives! There is much to rejoice over!


“But as God is faithful, our word to you is not yes and no.”
~2 Corinthians 1:18 (NASB)~

“I’ll call you!” “Yes, let’s get together!” “I’ll be praying for that…” “Sure, I will get that done.”
There are so many times I have said these things or things like it when in my own weakness, I forget to follow up on them. It is humbling to have to come back and admit my neglect, to ask for forgiveness. And then there are times I just shrink from interaction because I don’t want the discomfort of owning up to my failures.

There are practical things we can all do in order to help us remember the commitments we have made to others, though.


  1. “Oh, be careful little tongue what you say…” This is a line taken from a children’s song, but so applicable to everyone. Do I make grandiose promises that I am unable to keep (or that might be difficult to keep)? I can make sure that the things I commit to doing are realistic for me and my schedule. It is better to not make a commitment than to commit and let down those relying on you.
  2. Write things down. I try to write down my commitments as soon as possible after I make them. Whether it is as simple as an appointment with a dentist, or something more serious like promising to pray for someone. I keep a calendar with events on it and a journal for prayers. These two things help me keep my word. 
  3. If I commit to praying for someone, it not only goes in a prayer journal, but I try to pray right when the request comes to me so I know I have at least prayed once. It is an immediate follow through.
  4. Set an alarm or reminder. I do this particularly if I have a child in time-out. There is one of my children I would forget otherwise. My other child won’t let me forget he is in a time-out I also set reminders on my phone if I have a day full of commitments or errands. 


What are some things you do that help you remember to follow through on your commitments to others?

~Jaime Scharf

No comments:

Post a Comment